Imagine that you have been given three wishes by a genie that appears out of nowhere as you sit rubbing an old brass lamp, found in your grandma's attic. Everyone dreams of finding a magic lamp with a genie inside. Now, that someone is you!
At first, you have a hard time comprehending what has happened. Then faint glimmers of wealth begin to sparkle in your minds eye. The genie holds his right arm straight out, palm facing forward and yells, "Stop, I know what you're thinking!"
"Your story is a little different from the rest", he goes on to say, "you will be given three wishes, but... you, or your family and friends, may never gain any material wealth or money from this golden opportunity".
You are then given 24 hours to think about the genie's offer. Not surprisingly, you are slightly disappointed by the disclaimer that has been added to your gift. Finally, you realize that not having to worry about any personal wealth will help you truly focus on those things that can make a difference in this world full of pain and sorrow.
The next day, the genie returns and says, "Your wish will be my command... as long as you stick with the terms of our previous agreement".
And you say... ?
Word Bank genie; lamp; magic; wish; hunger for; dream; power; greed; classic; wisdom; ponder; choose; foretell; ambition; reflect; wonder; prioritize; allow; wants/needs; envy;
May we prompt you?
1. If you could consult one person in making this decision, who would it be? Why?
2. How would an experience like this change your life?
3. Would it be possible to have something like this happen with out the help of a magical lamp and genie?
4. Brainstorm a short list of creative ways you could improve the world with the help of your service minded genie.
5. What kind of non-financial gifts would be most helpful to those in need?
6. Write your own version of this well known tale that involves the same basic plot, but with a slightly different twist.